Two following special sessions have been proposed as of now:
Special session 1: Gondwana Assembly and break-up, the orogenesis and resulting mineral endowment. The sub-themes are:
- Neoproterozoic glaciation in Gonwanaland and post glacial emergence of Ediacaran life on Earth.
- Precambrian – Cambraian and Permian – Triassic Chemostratigraphy and its implication on Gondwana paleoclimate and evolution and extinction of life.
- Pan African -Braziliano orogenic event and its impact on South Asian continent.
- Rodinia to Gondwana- the resulting orogens and their mineral endowment.
- Paleozoic – Mesozoic Gondwana sedimentation, Basin evolution and associated sedimentary economic deposits.
Special session 1 will be coordinated by Prof. Alan Collins, Director of the Centre for Tectonics, Resources and Exploration (TRaX), Earth Sciences, University of Adelaide Australia (e-mail: <firstname.lastname@example.org>). The other team members are: Prof. V. C. Tewari, Geology Department, Sikkim Central University, Sikkim, India (e-mail: <email@example.com>), Prof. Renata Schmitt, Departamento de Geologia, Universidate Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (e-mail: <firstname.lastname@example.org>) and Bishal Nath Upreti (<email@example.com>)
Special session 2: Groundwater resource and its development in Africa. The sub-themes are:
- The science of groundwater in Africa – recent findings
- Bringing about water well drilling professionalism in Africa
Special session 2 will be coordinated by Dr Kerstin Danert, Director – Secretariat of the Rural water Supply Network (RWSN) and Chair of the UPGro (Unlocking the Potential of Groundwater for the Poor) Programme Coordination Unit, Switzerland (e-mail: <Kerstin.Danert@skat.ch>). The other team members are: Prof. DCW Nkhuwa, Department of Geology, School of Mines, University of Zambia (e-mail: <firstname.lastname@example.org>), Sean Furey (e-mail: <Sean.Furey@skat.ch>) and Jose Gesti Canuto (e-mail: <email@example.com>).
Special session-3: Engineering Geology. The following themes are incorporated in the special session:
- Engineering geological innovation in Africa
- Urban Geology: Sustainable Planning and Development
- Site characterization
- Construction materials
- Slope stability
- Water in Engineering
- Large structures, dam safety and Hydropower development.
- Teaching, training and research
Special session-3 will be coordinated by Prof Louis van Rooy – Vice-President Africa IAEG, University of Pretoria, South Africa (e-mail: <Louis.VanRooy@up.ac.
Special Session-4: Environmental Impact of Copper Mining: REVISITED
Will be coordinated by Imasiku A. Nyambe – 1Geology Department, School of Mines, University of Zambia and Bohdan Kribek – Czech Geological Survey, Czech Republic
Any information regarding the Special Sessions, please write to the respective Coordinators of the sessions. However, submission of the registration form and the abstract should be sent to the Conference Secretary (E-mail: <firstname.lastname@example.org>